Hottest, driest, lowest… but home to plants and animals unique to the harshest of deserts. Join fellow DBG members as we explore Death Valley, 3 million acres of wilderness, streaming sand dunes, snow-capped mountains, multicolored rock layers and water-fluted canyons. Lead by Art Chesmore, a certified professional tour guide, we will learn about the human, cultural and natural history of the Valley. Some of the highlights will include Badwater Basin, Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, Zabriskie Point and Ubehebe Crater. We will visit gold mining sites and ghost towns that were active for 150 years, not to mention experience the lowest point in the US at 282’ below sea level!. Our tour also includes a guided visit of Scotty’s Castle, an elaborate Spanish-style mansion built in the 1920’s.
Departing on Thursday, we travel to Las Vegas to be positioned for an early start on Friday for a full day of touring Death Valley. We overnight the next two nights in Furnace Creek, centrally located within the Park…and offering one of the darkest night skies in the nation. We return to Phoenix on Sunday with a new appreciation of the stark beauty of the landscape and the people drawn to this unforgiving land.
The 4-day tour package includes:
- Round-trip transportation in a luxury motor coach with professional driver
- Three nights’ accommodations with breakfast
- Admission to the National Park and Scotty’s Castle
- Professional tour guide from Las Vegas through the Park
- Chilled water and snacks on board the coach
- Hotel taxes and resort fees
- Lunch, dinner and gratuities